News briefing Jan. 30-Feb. 05, 2015

News briefing Jan. 30-Feb. 05, 2015

Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Share to Google Plus

Alleged gay-bashing trio set for court date

The three people accused of attacking a gay couple in Center City this past fall are scheduled to be back in court next week.

Kathryn Knott, William Philips and Kevin Harrigan are scheduled to appear for a pre-trial conference before Common Pleas Judge Frank Palumbo, 9 a.m. Feb. 5 in Room 905 of the Criminal Justice Center, 1301 Filbert St.

The three have been free on bail since shortly after their Sept. 24 arrest. They are charged with aggravated assault, simple assault, recklessly endangering another person and criminal conspiracy stemming from the Sept. 11 attack on Zachary Hesse and Andrew Haught. The gay couple was walking at 16th and Chancellor streets when they say the trio, surrounded by a group of both men and women, got into a verbal and then physical altercation with them, repeatedly using antigay slurs and leaving Haught with multiple broken bones.

They are not expected to be scheduled for trial until later this year. The pre-trial conference is open to the public.

Pulse fundraises for HRC

Pulse Events will host a party this weekend to raise funds for national LGBT agency Human Rights Campaign.

The event will take place from 10 p.m.-2 a.m. Jan. 31 at Smokin’ Betty’s, 116 S. 11th St. DJs KAsh and Trish will provide music, and drink specials include $5 well drinks and $3 select bottles from 10 p.m.-midnight. Cover charge is $5.

All proceeds will be donated to HRC. For more information, visit

— Jen Colletta

Whitewood fee issue continues

A settlement hasn’t been finalized in a fee-compensation dispute in the Whitewood case, according to court records.

The Whitewood case established marriage equality in Pennsylvania last year.

As the prevailing party, Whitewood plaintiffs requested more than $1 million in compensation from state and Bucks County officials for their legal fees and costs.

But state officials said the plaintiffs requested an “exorbitant amount.”

On Sept. 10, U.S. District Judge John E. Jones 3d referred the matter to U.S. Magistrate Judge Martin C. Carlson for mediation.

But mediation was canceled because both sides indicated they could reach an agreement without court intervention.

Earlier this month, a court spokesperson said she knew of no plans to resume mediation, despite the lack of a final settlement.

Neither side had a comment for this story.

— Timothy Cwiek


Find us on Facebook
Follow Us
Find Us on YouTube
Find Us on Instagram
Sign Up for Our Newsletter